Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Mostly Finished.....

So this week I tried, I really, really tried to get done these hot pink socks that I am making because of an idea that I had to make the prize for the King's cake this year to be a knitted something. So really, it has just been a little over a month or so since that event, so that's not too bad of a turn around on a size 11 men's pair of socks. (!!!!!!). But it feels like I should have been done sooner, so here are the socks, and they are just not quite done. I need to do just a few more rows of ribbing at the top cuff and then bind off and weave in ends, and so that should be pretty smooth sailing. I used Knit Picks Stroll Brights, in their hot pink that was new and was on sale (?) (I may be lying about this, but I think it was on sale when I got it. It wasn't that pricey anyways, but yeah). And I am working them on my size 1 US needles that are the Addi Turbo Sock Rockets with the 42" cable. They are just a vanilla sock recipe that I use for just about everything, although I may be changing my recipe- more on that later. With 2x2 ribbing along the top of the sock the entire way and then the cuff after the heel is 2x2 ribbing all the way around for around 4" or so and then 10 rows of 1x1 ribbing. Hopefully that all made sense.
Then I finished two polar fleece blankets that I am going to donate to the Project Night Night here in Kansas City, which is a charity that puts together a tote bag with a blanket, a stuffed animal and a bedtime story and gives them to the children in KC that are homeless. My young adult group at church is donating 15 bags and asked me to get/make the blankets for them. So I decided to do the polar fleece kind, since they are quick to make and I can get 15 done by the end of May, so two down, thirteen to go.
And then I am still working on a Curl from the book Curls by Hunter Hammersen, and it is going great! I am trying to do about one repeat on it a night or so. And so it is slowly growing. I am thinking about overdying the finished product with purple, so that I will like the coloring better, because right now it is just not doing it for me. I liked the lilac color, and thought that there would be more of that, I guess it's really more of a pink than lilac per se, but close enough. Only when it is knit up there is a whole lot more blues and greens and browns to it than I was expecting when I looked at the skein, so I was going to fix the discrepancy and just overdye all of it to a color I would like more.
And finally I finished a pair of vanilla socks for myself! I got an 8" circular from Addi Turbo and they are US Size 2, so they are larger, and I can start from the cuff down and make a sock that is only 64-60 stitches around and it fits my feet amazingly! I didn't even use any 2x2 ribbing along the top or anything, it is all just negative ease from having fewer stitches around. I don't know why this should be such a huge revelation to me. It should be pretty obvious that if you knit something with negative ease then it won't need ribbing to stay on your foot, but I am apparently a slow learner. Also featured in this photo are my spinach plants which are growing wildly away, and if they will just get a little bit bigger than I will be able to pick them and make a delicious salad or omelette or whole host of other things.
I cast on another pair of socks using the same super small circular, and they will be done shortly-ish, hopefully. I also now have an instagram account, and am @spinningknitting1 on there. I am also on twitter and I am @spinknitting1 on there. So check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment