Friday, February 13, 2015

Finished Projects

I recently went to the local big box craft store, which everyone knows can be a dangerous adventure, and I located their fat quarter batiks. I would just like to start off with the full disclosure that I love batiks. I love graphic prints. I think that these are wonderful things that need to be celebrated and be made part of decorating and accessories all around. So, in order to do my little part I purchased enough gray fabric to line all the bags that I planned on making, and then picked out zippers, and then picked out fabric that coordinated with the zippers. I realize that this may sound a bit backwards, but when you think about it, there are far more fabric choices than zipper choices, so I thought that it was safer to pick out the thing with the smaller selection, because I didn't want to end up with awesome fabric and having to get a boring black zipper to go in them. I also added a handle to these box bags, because it seemed like a good idea. So, there is that too.


I think that they turned out really cute, and was quite pleased with them.

Then also last night I finished a hat for my friend K, and she will be getting it whenever I see her next, hopefully on Sunday at our young adult group. So there is that too. It was made with Plymouth Coffee Bean, which is a worsted weight. The construction of the yarn was really interesting, it was a three ply with one of the plies being slightly thick and thin so it gave a slight bit of texture to the finished hat as well as just some visual interest that I liked. The pattern was a free pattern off of Ravelry, the "big fat cable hat". I really liked this pattern, and thought that it was written out really well, and that it turned out really cute and slouchy. I am seriously considering making some more of these for Christmas and other similar occasions.


And finally this afternoon I finished another bias scrap blanket for Project Linus. I liked how it turned out, I just made it from scraps on a US Size I crochet hook, single crochet increasing until it was about three feet on a side and then decreasing until I reached a point. Unfortunately, Project Linus meet-up is on Sunday and it looks like this will be the only knit/crochet blanket that I have finished, I do have the bargello quilted one that I showed previously, but I really like to turn in more yarn based blankets, especially since I have received yarn donations and I like to have a good turn around on those so I am not just hoarding it. (Even though the donations are usually just Red Heart Super Saver, so it's not like there's a whole lot else I can do with them, it's still nice to have a fairly quick turn around on those sort of things.)


I finished For Calvinism by Michael S. Horton, and while I thought it was a well written book, I don't think that it necessarily convinced me that Calvinism is the way to go. There seemed to be some parts in the logic where he didn't really answer the question proposed and just skirted around the issue in order to arrive at the safe conclusion that supported his answer. So it was interesting, but I don't know that it accomplished it's goal. I started The Case for God by Karen Armstrong, but am not really far enough into it to say one way or the other how it's going to turn out, it is interesting so far, but that's about all the insight I can give to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment