Thursday, February 12, 2015

Spindle Spinning

I finished a thing! I have been working on a big spindle spinning project, not huge like a sweater quantity or anything, but a pretty big project, for me anyway. To start off I would like to state that I have issues with making my singles anything much thinner than a worsted or aran. Most of the time I get a bulky or even super bulky. So I wanted to try and get a sock weight yarn on a spindle. Not only that but I wanted to get a navajo plied sock yarn on a spindle, and I got closer. I think that I got around a DK weight, so that's closer. I got around 130 yards from 4oz of BFL (Blue Faced Leicester). It was in the Scrambled on the Insides colorway by Nerd Girl Yarns. I like how it turned out, and I think that I am going to make some kind of slippers with them.


I spun it on my Kundhert spindle that is 1.3oz, and it is my favorite spindle by far. I really like the weight at how it spins. I am planning on going to a spin-in at Chillicothe, MO in April, and am wanting to get another spindle there, just to try out another one, but I am definitely going to get one in this weight range. I am also considering getting another turkish spindle, because I like the one that I have, but it is just the knitpicks one, and I like when my tools have just a little bit of embellishing on them. Makes them feel nicer. There is going to be a tool trade at the spin-in so I am hoping to find some good deals there.

In other news I am still reading For Calvinism, although I am almost done, and will likely finish within the next few days. I am also reading New Monasticism by Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove, and it is an interesting read that has given a history of the monastic movement, and now is getting into how principals of monastic living can be applied to the church as a whole. I also went to the library yesterday and got The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield, which is the book club book for the March book club, so I don't know anything about it, but it looks like it will hopefully be an enjoyable read.

I did a lot of math yesterday in order to figure out the sleeves on a sweater I am making. It has a bottom up construction, where the body and the sleeves are knit separate and then joined and the shoulders are knit. I've finished with the body, and my arms are just not shaped like a normal person's, I have shorter arms that are rounder, so I had to increase quickly in a short amount of rows in order to ensure that the sleeves will indeed fit me (which is important to me considering that I have invested a fair amount into this yarn).

I also have a time frame for getting my products professionally photographed for my Etsy shop, and so everything is on track to get it all up and running in March, which will be awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment