Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Vanilla Socks

Yesterday I finished my purse knitting project that has been in my bag a little over a month. It was from deep stash, so I'm not sure of the yarn brand or name, but it was fingering weight, and it was commercially spun and dyed, and self-striping.

So here are the finished socks.


And I'm going to describe my personal vanilla sock pattern that I use to the best of my ability. I have very wide feet, and have about 8 1/2 size length in my foot. I also have a very high arch, so it is sometimes a bit tricky to get it all to work out and fit on my feet. I also do my socks two at a time toe up on magic loop. 

Step 1: Using Judy's Magic Cast-On I cast on 24 stitches for each toe, meaning that there are 12 stitches on the front and 12 stitches on the back for each toe. 

Step 2: I knit one round, then I increase every other row until I have 36 stitches on either side of each sock, or 72 stitches around on each sock. 

Step 3: I work 2x2 rib on the top of each sock and plain stockinette on the bottom of the foot. This helps the sock stretch to go over the widest part of my foot, and stretch to go over my high arch. I work this until the sock is long enough to hit my ankle when I try on the sock. 

Step 4: I work a short row heel on each sock. This heel just really fits my foot and gives me enough stretch and give to form to my foot. 

Step 5: I work rib on the top and plain stockinette on the back for about an inch, just so the part that is in my shoe is not ribbed on the back, because that is sometimes uncomfortable. 

Step 6: I work 2x2 rib all the way around for the rest of the cuff. I work the cuff long enough so that I can fold the top over the foot and it is long enough that it is as long as the top of the foot of my sock. 

Step 7: I work one row of knit, and then work 1x1 rib for 6 rows, and then bind off using the Jeny's Super Stretchy bind off. 

Step 8: Weave in ends. I don't block my socks, and always use superwash, so I just throw them in the washing machine when I am done with them and have worn them. 

So that is what I do for my vanilla socks, and last year I made about a pair a month, so I was definitely filling up my sock drawer. I love making socks, I am just more in love with the fingering weight hats right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment