Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Inventory

I have been very blessed by people that have donated yarn to Project Linus, I have also been "collecting" yarn for about the past five years pretty seriously. That all being said I have accumulated quite a bit of yarn. I entered the yarn that I store under the back porch into Ravelry last night, and the total mileage was 39.1375 miles of yarn! And that's just what I had the yarn bands for! Blows me away. I think that I need to go on a pretty severe yarn diet, but that's ok. It will be fun to explore my yarn and find new and better patterns that will match perfectly with the yarn. That's not to say that I won't buy yarn for special projects, like my brother really wants an aran cabled sweater, that I'm going to make out of Lion Brand Wool-Ease, I picked out the pattern with him already and everything. It's going to be epic. I'll tell you all about that closer to when I will be making it. Anyways, here are some pictures of my yarn stash, it's not the prettiest in the world, but it's pretty efficient, and it is free of bugs and mice and all other sorts of creepy crawlies. (Which is VERY important to me that it stays that way!).

This is what it looks like looking out from my room onto the storage area. That's an antique spinning wheel that needs some TLC that it has not gotten yet. It's missing a flyer and bobbin, which can be made, I just haven't been inclined to devote that sort of time to it, especially since I have a nice, functioning wheel already.


This is all the Red Heart Super Saver acrylic that I use for making Project Linus blankets. 99% of this yarn has been donated, I seriously think there are about 2 skeins that I have bought.


This is more Red Heart Super Saver, as well as the ghosts of projects past (the white laundry basket), and some suri alpaca that I haven't processed yet (the brown laundry basket), and fleece that I am working processing (behind the yellow trash bag, breed of sheep unknown).


There is still more Red Heart Super Saver, but just scraps, which I love to work with. In the boot shoe boxes is all my sock yarn, it's crammed in there pretty tightly. And in the plastic bag there is novelty yarn, and in the boxes on the floor and next to the shoe boxes there is more novelty yarn.


So there is the most of my stash demystified. I have my handspun and other nice yarn stored inside in three dresser drawers, but I didn't quite get to that last night.

I think my goal for the new year will definitely be to stash down and to stop bringing in single balls of yarn, that even though they catch my attention in the shops are not good for much besides scarves, cowls, and hats, and I would like to do some bigger projects eventually. I cycle through the Project Linus yarn pretty regularly, and so I will most likely take in more donations before the end of the year, but as long as I am putting out as much as I am taking in I don't see that as being a problem either. I think my biggest hurdle at the moment is bringing in single skeins of "Ooo pretty" yarn, and I need to just make a promise to myself to either buy enough to make a substantial project, or pass it up, because I have enough "Ooo pretty" yarn to last me the whole year I think.

I'm not going to say "I'm going to knit down x miles" because I'm not good at keeping track of projects, and don't want to set myself up for failure with grandiose schemes.

No comments:

Post a Comment