Tuesday, January 27, 2015

My First Traditional Three Ply

This Sunday I decided to try a traditional three-ply. I got some BFL custom dyed fiber in a Tim Burton swap through Ravelry. Here is a picture of the fiber the day that I got it.

Then I divided it into three even pieces. I don't have a scale, so I just eyeballed it. I forgot to take a picture of it right when I divided it, but I did have my mom snap a picture while I was just starting to spin.


Here are a few of me actually spinning, I was using a modified long draw. I have been basically teaching myself to spin, so that I don't have a specific technique per se.



So then I had a several singles. I had them off the bobbin onto cardboard tubes that I got from my grandmother.



And then once I had them on the bobbins I plied them together, and here's how I held my hand.


And then I had all the singles plied onto my bobbin.


And then I wound it off onto my niddy noddy that I made out of PVC a while ago. I got the instructions off line, but I don't quite remember where, sorry. I know that it's a two yard niddy noddy, which makes it much easier to count yardage.



I had 88 yards when all was said and done, and under the wound skein you can see just a little bit of fluff. This was all that was left after I plied it, so less than two yards left in total. I looked up and down all over Ravelry, (OK, I got on and did an advanced pattern search for hats with less than 150 yards of yarn in an adult size), and found the Vermonter hat. Which I thought was cute, and I downloaded the pattern, it's a free pattern, and I just used it for how many stitches to cast on, and then I modified it, but I think that it still looks basically like the same hat. Next to the hat is the ball of how much yarn was left, which was more than I would have liked.


I really liked how it would turn out, and how the colors mixed together, and how it turned out. I think that I will try to spin thinner in order to get more yardage in a traditional three ply and then have maybe even a worsted weight, instead of the super bulky that I got this time, but I really do like the "look" of this yarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment